Sunday, March 18, 2012

We're In The Final Stretch!

































So I am four weeks out from my first solo show and actually enjoying the pressure to finalize four new paintings, each 44 x 52”. The above composition was taken from a photo I took of a sunflower farm just north of Elmira, NY with my good friend, Lori. We came around a bend while on state route 13 and were chit-chatting away until we both saw the acres and acres of sunflowers and I immediately hit the breaks and pulled over. We took several pictures and yet this one, because it also included a barn (and you know how I love to paint them ole’ barns!), was one of my favorites. I had planned to paint this last Fall but ran out of time and it wasn't until another friend and loyal blog follower, Ellen, reminded me of it that gave me the push to get to work on it in time for the show.  
The underpainting was done loosely with a brush and thin green paint that I let run down the canvas which created an almost watercolor effect so I decided to leave some of the nice lines for the stems and in others areas that aren't apparent until you see it in person (hint hint). And instead of the expected yellow I went with a soft yellowy green and used orange for the centers to help connect you to the barn and the clothesline.  It may be done but I am letting it “set a spell” in the studio while I work on the others. 
Speaking of which, I am counting on ALL of you to come to the opening reception of my solo exhibition, “The Clothesline Project” where the gallery will once again be transformed and filled with clotheslines as well as new barn and boat paintings. Alongside the fresh paintings will be plenty of wine, food and local live music. It's all served up as part of Hollingsworth’s Second Saturdays in the growing Palm Coast Arts District...and it's sure to be a blast! 
The Clothesline Project: 
New & Selected Works by Christine Sullivan
April 14th from 6 - 9 PM
Hollingsworth Gallery
Located on the 2nd Level of City Marketplace
160 Cypress Point Parkway 
Palm Coast, FL 32164

No comments:

Post a Comment