Wednesday, February 6, 2013

What's Old is New Again

"Five" 48 x 48" Oil on Canvas, 2010 (c) christine sullivan





































Not only is it already FEBRUARY but this Saturday, February 9th, marks the 4th year of Hollingsworth Gallery's SECCA Member's Exhibition (Southeast Coalition of Contemporary Artists). I remember all to well Hollingsworth's 1st members show as it was also my very first show. I had been working on the above painting in my very public, shared open studio space in what is now Hollingsworth's "teaching studio." People were frequently coming and going so of course I received, solicited and not, lots of input as to what it had and what it lacked. I laugh now and wonder if each of the brush strokes making up the abstract cloud  represent the comments I was getting...or possibly how it left me feeling. I was terrified at the time to have it in the show while also feeling good that it was accepted.

And it makes me laugh thinking, "who dives into oil and abstract painting for the first time with a few 48 x 48" canvases??!!" It was all I wanted to do. Many of my paintings from "back then"were painting mainly with my hands and often included a broad or narrow strip of solid color on the bottom, top or side. I was also glazing (the orange) a lot and adding sand paint or raw pigment to the under painting as I just loved experimenting with techniques and textures. Still do. 

Rogue, 12 x 9" Oil on Canvas. 2010. Private Collection.
Here is the other painting that I had in the show.  I remember well the Sunday I painted it.  I was in the studio alone and struggling. I kept painting the cloud and wiping it off, painting and wiping it off and while I was wiping the paint off (I was using my hands and a small rag) I discovered that I was able to work on the shape of the clouds so much easier with my hands and a rag than with the brush...and this small act was a huge learning moment. Between the mixing, the wiping and the thinning of the pigment I had found an application process I really liked. I kept going and finished the bottom part of the painting... also with my hands. Even that small wipe of red was marked with red paint on the tip of my finger. I think it was also one of the first times I realized that two hours in the studio alone on a Sunday was equivalent to about 8 hours of work during the regular busy studio hours and shortly afterwards I moved into my own, private studio. 

Funny, I recently started painting with my hands again, and I love it. Now I remember why. Sometimes you just need to look back to keep moving forward. 

--------------------------  EVENT SCHEDULE / UPCOMING SHOWS ---------------------


SATURDAY, FEB 9th, 6 - 9 PM
Reception kicks off at 6pm with wine, 
light eats and a relaxing balcony to enjoy 
the sunset with your friends. 
As always it's free and open to the public.
Hope to see you there!












SUNDAY, FEB 17th, 10 AM - 4 PM
Veteran's Park, Flagler Beach, FL

Please come out to the beach, Flagler Beach that is, for the inaugural outdoor fine arts festival where I and many other fine artists will be showing and selling our works. This ocean front park is in the heart of the best little small town in the nation, conveniently located at the corner of Rt 100 and A1A. Plenty of FREE parking and free admission as well. Hope to see you there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment