Sunday, October 23, 2011

Thirty Days, Not Quite Thirty Paintings

Porch Line 30 x 40" Oil on Canvas
The clothesline has been in the background of our lives, or better said in the back yard of our lives for generations. For my Community Arts of Elmira artist residency project I took it upon myself to bring them to the forefront, to celebrate their heritage and to capture their differing personalities. Be they quiet, strong, calm or a bit breezy all works were inspired by photographs taken in and around Elmira, NY within the last four weeks. My goal was to take this concept and see where it would lead me. 

My first few paintings were very literal interpretations. I then started to think of the individual clothes on the line as having their own identity - some being flirty, others a bit stiff but when hanging together they appeared much like their owners, reflecting a family of individuals that are hanging strong together no matter what the weather should bring. 

Yet I know that I am just scratching the surface as the clotheslines have now been pullied across my heart and I have many more works just waiting to be set free. Some a bit more abstract, a lot more conceptional and then there's just the landscape painter in me that can't help but combine barns and clotheslines especially after witnessing the large, long Amish lines. So many new directions to explore it's a shame to have to stop at this point.

Many thanks to the Community Arts of Elmira for giving me this opportunity to paint in the wonderful, historic Langdon mansion for 30 days. I have grown to feel a part of its history, however brief it is in the big scheme of things, as well as a deeper part of the Elmira community at large. Here are a few of the works to share and I am forever thankful for having you hang in there with me! <3


P.S. I have also updated my website at christinesullivan.com


Rest/Run 30 x 40" Oil on Canvas

Harvest Line 30 x 40" Oil on Canvas

Tender Line 18 x 24" Oil on Linen

Yellow Barn #1 20 x 24" Oil on Linen

The Blues Line 30 x 40" Oil on Canvas

Nesting 18 x 24" Oil on Linen

Hey You! 12 x 12" Oil on Linen

Slumber Party 12 x 12" Oil on Linen

Flying Solo 12 x 12" Oil on Linen

Hangin' Tough 12 x 12" Oil on Linen

Childs Play 36 x 36" Oil on Canvas

One Sheet Wonder 18 x 24" Oil on Linen

The Cardinal 48 x 60" Oil on Canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment