Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Helen Frankenthaler: 12/12/28 - 12/27/2011


Another of the world's great painters leaves us for the big studio in the sky. RIP Helen, you will be sorely missed but your unique staining process and color field images that you leave behind have changed and will continue to change the art world for all time.

P.S. When I first started studying the works of the abstract expressionist and color field painters I was first and fully drawn to the work of Helen Frankenthaler. I bought every one of her books, started working on much larger canvases and even tried to meet her a few times as she was active most recently in the print workshops at Rhode Island School of Design and in California. I recently found notes of how much I loved one of her large works at MOMA before I was a painter as well as a photo of my dorm room with one of her Boston Museum of Arts posters duck-taped to my cinder block wall. Helen was an explorer with vision and the verve to make it all work. I often imagined she just said damn to all the attention the men like Pollock and Hofmann were getting and decided to simply press on and do her own thing...and press on she surely did. Here are a few of her works in her honor...











No comments:

Post a Comment